Incoming Students

Information for Incoming Students in the Department of Biostatistics

Instruction begins on Monday, September 27, 2018.

Welcome to the Department of Biostatistics, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health. We look forward to meeting you in the fall term. Please refer to this document for helpful information and links to prepare you for your arrival on campus in fall 2018.

The deadline to apply for a campus parking permit is on July 20. Visit the Transportation and Parking and student parking information website.

Useful Links Student Orientations

The Fielding School of Public Health Orientation for incoming students will be held in late September (the actual dates will be announced over the summer). It is important that you attend this session in order to obtain information that will help you acclimate to UCLA. You will also have the opportunity to meet the Biostatistics faculty that day. You will be receiving additional information about this event from the FSPH Student Affairs Office over the summer.

UCLA New Graduate Student Orientation
Date: Friday, September 21st from 9:00-4:30
Location: Ackerman Grand Ballroom
For more information please visit:

Entering Graduate Student Welcome Reception
Agenda and details will be available this summer
For more information, visit:



Please refer to the Graduate Division Orientation Handbook which contains information on how to register, how to enroll, and how to access UCLA log on. For the most updated enrollment information visit the registrar's web site. For the most updated schedule of classes and deadline changes click here.


Enrollment Course Sequence for Fall 2018

Incoming MS Students

Biostatistics 200A, Biostatistics 202A, Biostatistics 203A or Special Topics or 4 unit course in Epi course (100, 200A), Public Health 150, HPM M242.

Incoming PhD Students

Biostatistics 200A*, Biostatistics 202A*, Biostat Special Topics or 4 unit course in Epi course (100, 200A), Public Health 150, HPM M242.

Incoming MPH Students

Biostatistics 200A, Biostatistics 203A, HPM 100 and/or Environmental Health Science 100

Incoming DrPH Students

Biostatistics 200A, Biostatistics 202A, Biostatistics 203A

* The sequence of classes to be taken during the first year of study depends on the student’s background. Entering Doctoral students must consult with their academic advisor to determine a sequence of courses to best prepare the student for the written preliminary and qualifying exams.


Waiver Exam for DrPH and MPH Students Only

Please note, the waiver exam is only for MPH and DrPH students who are required to take the 4 SPH core courses: CHS 100, EHS 100, EPI 100, and HS 100. This waiver exam does not apply to Biostatistics students looking to waive out of Biostatistics courses. Please refer to the Course Waiver Exam Handout for information on requirements, schedules and times for the waiver exam.


Registration Fees

Registration fees must be paid prior to each term. Fees can be paid by check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), or cash. View the Academic Calendar for specific dates. Visit the Graduate Division website for detailed information on the current graduate student fee rates.


Faculty Advisor

Students are assigned a Faculty Advisor on the basis of probable compatibility. This assignment is made upon admission to the program. Because students’ interests mature and change as they progress through the program, the student and/or the advisor may decide that the student should change advisors. Such changes can be initiated only after consultation with and approval by, the original and new faculty advisor. Formally changing advisors requires a blue petition.


BruinCard (Student ID)

BruinCard is the official campus identification for UCLA, and is required for all students, faculty, and staff. Your BruinCard also serves as your library card, recreation card (Wooden Center), door access card, and much, much more! The BruinCard is free to all students. Report lost or stolen cards ASAP online.


Bruin Online - Email Account

All Biostatistics students are required to have email accounts. Please visit the Bruin Online website to create a new e-mail account. All future department announcements will be distributed via email. 


Transportation and Parking

If you would like to apply for a campus parking permit, you should submit your application at no later than Friday, July 20, 2018. Parking spaces are limited, so be sure to submit your application by the due date.


Other Means of Transportation

Options include vanpools, carpools, buspools, public transit, bicycles, scooters and motorcycles. The BruinGo! program allows members of the UCLA community to ride the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus and Culver City Bus at a reduced fare, using their BruinCards. Go Metro program offers discounted quarterly transit passes for Metro bus and rail lines. A comprehensive look at campus transportation options is outlined on the Green Commute Website, brought to you by UCLA Transportation. For more information call (310) 794-7433 or stop by 555 Westwood Plaza, Room 200.


UCLA Housing

Most graduate students plan their own living arrangements. You can check the UCLA Community Housing Office and the Daily Bruin's classifieds for listings. In addition, there are housing listings in the LA Times, Craigslist, and through professional listing services, such as Westsiderentals.


Change of Address

If your email and/or mailing address changes, you must update your contact information at Please also make sure to contact Roxy Naranjo via email at with your address change. It is EXTREMELY important that we have your most current addresses. All future announcements will be sent to you via email.


Establishing California Residency for Tuition Purposes (US Citizens and Permanent Residents)

Domestic students who are not California residents will need to establish residency to avoid assessment of nonresident tuition. In order to establish your residency, certain requirements must be met. Please refer to the Registrar's web page or call the Residence Deputy at (310) 825-3447 for more information on establishing California Residency. This is very important. Otherwise, you may have to pay non-resident tuition during your second year.


Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (Foreign Students)

The Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS) is located at 417 Charles E. Young Dr. West, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1379, (310) 825-1681. DCISS office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Please visit the DCISS home page for more information. ALL international students must register for and attend one of the following MANDATORY New Intl Student & Scholars Orientation (NISSO) during the fall quarter at UCLA. These Orientations focus on how, you as an international student, must maintain your visa status while at UCLA. 


ESL Placement Examination (MANDATORY EXAM for International Students)

You must take the ESL Placement Examination (ELWR) at UCLA if you are a non-native speaker of English and you are new to the United States. If you are a non-native speaker of English but you are not new to the United States, you may also be required to take the ESLPE (for example: if you were required to submit a TOEFL score when you applied to UCLA, you will need to take the ESLPE.) You should take the ESLPE before the Fall 2017 quarter begins. To register for the exam, visit the ESLPE web page. 


Test of Oral Proficiency (TOP) Requirement

The Test of Oral Proficiency (TOP) is NOT a requirement for all international graduate students–only those who plan to be employed as teaching assistants. The TOP is administered through the Office of Instructional Development (OID). For more about the TOP exam, click here.


Student Employment Opportunities

Almost all doctoral students are able to find employment in the form of stipends, fellowships, or employment related to their field (e.g. Special Readers, TA's, Graduate Researchers). Many Master's students are also able to find employment, especially after they have completed their first quarter or if they have completed certain courses (such as Biostat 403A and M403B). Two positions, GSR (Graduate Student Researcher) and SR (Special Reader), may also carry fee remissions from 80% to 90% in addition to the standard salary pay. If you are seeking employment as a SR in the Department of Biostatistics, you should apply at least six weeks before the beginning of the quarter to ensure that you receive full consideration. To apply for SR positions you must complete a Special Reader Application. To apply for GSR positions you must complete a GSR Application (Application for Part Time Employment). Completed applications must be submitted to Roxy Naranjo in 51-254 CHS (Biostatistics Office), via e-mail: Please visit the Biostatistics website to obtain the application for all Student Employment.

The Biostatistics Graduate Student Affairs Officer, Roxy Naranjo, will also forward on any opportunities that are sent directly to her via email. Please visit the following site for information on campus opportunities: In addition, you should join the Teaching Assistant Positions Group (TA Marketplace) for additional assistance in finding positions:


Study Cubicles for Biostatistics Students

The Department of Biostatistics is very excited to offer office space rooms for Biostatistics graduate students, A1-228 CHS and A1-227 CHS. Graduate students may use this as study rooms during SPH building hours. Assignments to cubicles are reviewed annually at the beginning of the fall quarter. Students are asked to fill out an application and priority is given to students who do not have other office space within reasonable walking distance of the Fielding School of Public Health. Students who are not assigned a cubicle can use any cubicle as long as the student that is assigned to the cubicle is not using it. Please see Roxy Naranjo during the second week of fall quarter for more information at 51-254A CHS.


Student Mailboxes

Each student has their own mailbox in the Biostatistics Department Main Office – CHS 51-254.


Fall 2017 Important Academic Dates
  • Quarter begins Monday, September 24
  • Instruction begins Thursday, September 27
  • Study List deadline (becomes official): Friday, October 12
  • Veterans Day holiday: Friday, November 12
  • Thanksgiving holiday: Thursday-Friday, November 22-23
  • Instruction ends Friday, December 7
  • Common final examinations Saturday-Sunday, December 8-9
  • Final examinations Monday-Friday, December 10-14
  • Quarter ends Friday, December 14
  • Christmas holiday Monday-Tuesday December 24-25
  • New Year’s holiday Monday-Tuesday, December 31-January 1

Please visit the UCLA Academic Calendar for a full list of important due dates and deadlines.


Additional Links


Congratulations and welcome to the Fielding School of Public Health!

Please feel free to contact me any time with questions or concerns.

Roxy Naranjo
Graduate Student Affairs Officer
Department of Biostatistics
51-236A CHS